Welcome to Jack Butler and Nick Goldsmith's Blog

Friday, May 21, 2010

Nick's Action Reflection


Action Reflection

Prepared by Nick Goldsmith

The action I took for my social justice project was to create a poster. The poster contains a picture of peer pressure. This picture accurately depicts peer pressure and shows the negative and harmful influence it causes. In the picture, the girl is peer pressured by her two friends to drink. The girl feels confused and scared as to what she is going to do. In addition to this picture, I included a question and an answer to convey the problem of peer pressure in an accurate way. Also, I included a NGO that my classmates or anybody can contact to receive more information on adolescent drug use and abuse, on reasons for why adolescents use and abuse drugs, and ways to prevent drug use and abuse. I chose this action because I felt that if adolescents and children see my poster than they will follow its message. I felt that a poster is more proper in grabbing the attention of teens and children and society than a letter to a policy maker or a petition.
Upon completing this poster, I hoped that it would help people recognize that peer pressure is an issue in today’s society. Many people overlook the problem of peer pressure or label it as not being a big deal. However, peer pressure is an important issue that needs to be looked at. I felt that creating the poster was a success because so many Serra students stopped by the poster and read it. They now know that peer pressure is a problem in today’s society. I have given them the opportunity to tackle this problem. If these students realize the significance of the problem and decide to take action then my poster will be an even bigger success.
After this project, I see my role in the world completely different. Prior to the project I felt voiceless and unable to make any difference in the world. This social justice project has changed the way I view my role in the world. It has given me hope and optimism that I can change the world and that I do have voice. I now feel empowered and able to take action against the sins of the world. In the future, I see myself taking more action against social injustices by writing to my congressman or senator, writing a petition, or partaking in rallies. This project has made me realize and understand that I can have a prophetic role in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment